Monday, July 21, 2014

Manga Test: Hana To Akuma


From mangahere.co
17-years-ago Vivi, the demon, decided to leave the demon realm and come to the human world. There he found an abandoned baby and on a whim decided to keep it. Since then he lived together with Hana...but having a 14 year-old girl around you, is it really as simple as you think it might be?
Hana To Akuma is a completed ten volume shoujo manga written by Hisamu Oto. The drawings are very well drawn in with details on the clothings(I love Victorian era detailed clothing) and there are few discrepancies. It's definitely not a powerful manga that has some 'deeper meaning' to it. It's an easy read that you can mindlessly enjoy the cuteness of it all.

The two main characters are Vivi or Bibi from the translation I read and Hana. Vivi is not an intimidating demon, and acts almost nothing like one besides the fact that he's more vampiric in the way he doesn't like the brightness and he drinks blood. Besides that, he seems like a normal person...with some trust issues. The story will probably progress to unfold more of his past that has not been mentioned in the first volume. I love the way he is drawn, but I wish he was more evil? A bit more demony? Kind of like Sabastian from Black Butler. The mysterious and evil underlying tones in his voice. But sadly no, Vivi is more of a brother figure to Hana, I think. He takes care of her and does love her, but I don't think the romantic relationship would be right in this situation. Maybe that's just me with the giant centuries age gap, and the fact that he's raising her. Also, this is a ridiculous thing to be annoyed about, but the name Vivi or Bibi really gets on my nervous when I'm reading and I hear 'Bibi' kind of like 'Baby' for this 200 year old demon. I'm just saying all the other male characters have awesome names like Velton and Klaus, why couldn't the main male protagonist also have a cool edgy name?? Hana is a cute child that is very carefree, and doesn't care much about anything except for Vivi, as expected. She's very innocent and can cause happy mistakes that help her and Vivi out. I think her admiration with Vivi is a bit creepy to be honest, but I still like reading the manga.
I'm not sure if I find this hot or weird...

The pace of the manga feels a bit slow, and I wish it would progress more, and more things would happen. I'm hoping because of the actions of the last chapter I read (5), that it will lead to something bigger than just these two slowly becoming closer-which is not to say a bad thing, but can be a bit boring when nothing else is moving them along.

I'd say go read this if you're looking for something light and maybe something to read while you wait for other mangas you want to read to update, but it's not a main manga that I could read in one sitting and get fully immersed in. That being said, I'm still going to keep on reading this manga, and will give my full review of it in the upcoming weeks or months.

No comments:

Post a Comment