Monday, January 13, 2014

Review: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Summary:
In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.

from goodreads

My first review of a book in the new year, and I'm disappointed to say that this novel was everything I thought it was going to be, though I hoped for much much more. Everything about it was quite mundane, and your normal young adult paranormal novel-the craze this days.

The main character, Clara, though we have the same name, I have no sympathy for her or any real connection towards her lifeless being that is just going along with everything. Her character isn't a strong female protagonist, which I know I can't always have, but she was just so ghostly and boring to me anyways. I wanted to believe and fall in love with Clara's love interest, Christian, at the beginning of the story but that did not happen either. To be honest, they way Christian was told, it was like the author was writing about someone who I know it real life, which is also...ghostly, in a sense. But, you do get your tall dark handsome, and charming love interest, which I guess is someone who we all fall for every now in then.

The plot line is quite bland, and I spent most of my time skimming through the words, and finding that I didn't miss anything. Hand writes in a way that isn't entertaining or different from your average fanfiction writer, to be harsh. The dialogue was dull and again had no real life and character behind them. How the characters talked and reacted to each other were all so been there done that, it made it tiring to read without wanting to bash my head into a wall.

As someone who's read her fair share of the paranormal young adult novels, this novel does nothing for me at all. There was an interesting world that sucked me in, or an evil villain that we all secretly loved and thought was bad ass. I'd say, if you wanted to read about angels, go read the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series by Laini Taylor, or if you want your paranormal fix go read the indie series, the House of Slide books by Juliann Whicker. I was not trying to be mean in this review, but I honestly did not like this novel at all, and it's safe to say that I will not continue to read this series. So to one best friend to another, I'd give Unearthly a head shakes vigorously, thumb pointing down, mad face for the waste of my time, and disappointed eyes. (1 out of 5)



No comments:

Post a Comment