Thursday, February 28, 2013

Review: Mind Games by Kiersten White


Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future.

Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways…or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey.

In a stunning departure from her New York Times bestselling Paranormalcy trilogy, Kiersten White delivers a slick, edgy, heartstoppingly intense psychological thriller about two sisters determined to protect each other—no matter the cost.

from goodreads


I was really excited when I found out about this book. I ended up getting it through my nook ASAP, and finished it in a couple of hours. This novel has made me feel extremely fluffy and good, even though it's not so much of a fluffy sort of young adult novel. This is the kind of book that I want to buy a hardback cover for.

Kiersten White also wrote the Paranormalcy series, which I've heard about, but never really wanted to read because it was in the whole craze of paranormal romance, and I just couldn't handle anymore than I already read, previously. As I started reading the novel, I noticed that the writing was really simple, but the action in it was written wonderfully. I haven't read a really action packed novel is forever, not really, but still, I liked it. Something to take note of is that the novel is written between the two main character's points of views. Also, when you read Mind Games you jump write into the madness, and then you get pulled back to the past-which is as much action packed as the present. At first, that really got on my nerves, but I ended up liking the buffering motion it gave, while still giving you something to chew on.

Fia and Anna are two very different main characters, but they work well with each other. I, personally, favor Fia so much more than Anna. Probably because we see in side her brain first, and I'm just more used to her throughout the series. The idea of the novel to me, doesn't seem very light and girly, but Mind Games makes me feel like Kiersten White took a page out of my very close group of friends' party, and added a bunch of these crazy aspects.

I like the fact that I'm suspicious of pretty much everyone. You're always kept on your toes, and when I read it I felt like I was floating through this world, and just kept wanting to read more, constantly. I will definitely look into more of Kiersten White's novel. BTW this novel just came out last week, and I believe her next novel comes out in September of this year. Mind Games is the first of it's own series, which doesn't continue until the winter of 2014, which sounds far away, but that's just because I still can't believe it's the year 2013. To stop the rambles that keep spilling out, I'd tell my best friend to read this book and give it a head nods, thumbs up, and smiling like there's no tomorrow. (5 out of 5)


No comments:

Post a Comment