Thursday, November 8, 2012

Quotes: Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

I forgot to write the quotes I highlighted while reading Wintergirls in my review, and I have a lot so I think I'll just tell you all of them. Some of these quotes might be spoilers, it depends on how you look at them. :)

pg. 14 "We were secret sisters with a plan for world domination, potential bubbling around is like champagne."

pg. 18 "...body found in a motel room, alone..."

pg. 21. "The snow drifts into our zombie mouths crawling with grease and curses and tobacco..."

pg. 31 "The nurse who handed out meds was so fat her skin was stretched tight. If she moved too fast, it would rip open and her yellow stuffing would spill out, ruining her Disney World sweat shirt."

pg. 49 "Her voice is sticky, like lipstick bled on her tongue."

pg. 67 "It screws up the laws of physics for her to occupy the same room as the first wife."

pg. 89 "We held hands when we walked down the gingerbread path into the forest, blood dripping from out fingers. We danced with witches and kissed monsters. We turned us into wintergirls, and when she tried to leave, I pulled her back into the snow because I was afraid to be alone."

pg. 103 "I place the phone itself under the left rear tire and drive back and forth over it thirty-three times."

pg. 143 "I throw off the blanket and stand up. 'This is stupid. You're gong to lecture me and boss me around, I'm going to yell back, it'll be like always. We can't even pretend to get along. I'm out of here.'"

pg. 180 "She wipes a snowflake off my cheek. "You're not dead, but you're not alive either. You're a wintergirl, Lia-Lia, caught in between the worlds. You're a ghost with a beating heart. Soon you'll cross the border and be with me. I'm so stoked. I miss you wicked."

pg. 184 "'Anemia,' she says. 'Plus low blood sugar, low phosphates, low calcium, low T3-don't know what that means-high white blood cells, low platelets. They sewed you up with black threads, thirty-three stitches, isn't that weird? Oh, and you have ketones in your pee. Keep this up and we'll do New Year's together. Stay strong, sweetie."

pg. 194 "I am dying to know how much I weigh. There are no scales here and they wouldn't tell me at the hospital. They stuck so much goo into me, I bet I put on ten pounds. My skin itches from the new fat. It's going to split and peel off me. Melissa gives me skin cream and watches while I rub it on my arms and legs."

pg. 200 "Oh, Go. Oh, God. I am on top of the highest mountain. The icy ground is shaking, an earthquake, the world beneath me opening up with fire, steel arms ready to pull me down.

I have to move. I can't stay here anymore.

I throw myself down the mountain and open my mouth."

pg. 203 "'I believe that you've created a metaphorical universe in which you can express your darkest fears. In one aspect, yes, I believe in ghosts, but we create them. We haunt ourselves, and sometimes we do such a good job, we lose track of reality.'"

pg. 204 "One day the wind will carry them off. Nobody will notice."

No comments:

Post a Comment