Thursday, October 18, 2012

Review: The Super Spud by Michael Diack


Genetic engineering has accomplished many things, one of which has been to create the Super Spud! The humble potato elevated to new heights, creating the most flavoursome crisps ever known to humankind! But that's not all - A magical transformation occurs to all Super Spud crisps not eaten before their use-by date. They take on a life of their own. And so long as they remain undetected by humans, they enjoy life in their own Super Spud cities, take part in major Super Spud sporting events and even start the odd Super Spud war or two. Join Colin, Cougar, Hannibal Vector, Generals Rock, Jock and Strap and all the others in their rollicking adventures. You'll never look at a packet of crisps in the same way again! Fun, quirky and totally original.


from goodreads

I don't like writing reviews of books I couldn't finish. So that being said, this review will be short, and maybe uninformative. I got this novel a while back, and was saving it for a time that I wanted something quick and light to read. Well, that didn't come, because I have been in a reading rut. So, I asked two people that I honor their opinions very much to start reading it and tell me their thoughts. Both of which did not finish reading the novel.

The first person I gave the book to read, told me that the book felt very childish. I'm not sure what age range this was directed to, but from the summary I believe middle grade. Of course, you can also tell that a story about crisps is not going to be some amazing, world changing, meaningful adult novel. That person also said that the novel went very quickly, and did not understand completely where the crisps were and what they were doing. The beginning was fast paced. I remember my close friend saying that it's for those kids that have ADHD. I wouldn't go as far as saying that, but I do agree, when I read the first few pages of the novel.

My second friend, when I introduced her to the novel, wasn't very excited about it either. She read a passage or two, and had to stop. She did not like the idea, and I honestly wouldn't have picked up this book either, if I saw it at Barnes and Nobel, or at my local library. She also said that it wasn't well written. That I can't agree with, because even though the writing was fast paced, I didn't have any trouble with it.

That being said, I'd give The Super Spud a head shakes, thumb down, shoulders shrug. (2 out of 5)

1 comment: