Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Review: Of Light and Darkness by Shayne Leighton

I received this novel very unexpectedly because you may know this novel will be a movie, coming out in 2013. For me that's already a warning sign on how good this book will be. Usually novels, that turn into books-which means every movie out there these days- are either incredibly amazing, or down right sad and pathetic of a book, not trying to be harsh, but that's my opinion. So I'm on the later side of things for Of Light and Darkness. I'm someone who can't keep reading a book when they've made up their mind about disliking it. I read up to page 77, and was like "No, nope, no more, I can't handle this." 



I write honest reviews, and I don't get paid to do this either from the recent news about authors paying reviewers. So when I looked up the author of this novel, my thoughts weren't particularly joyous. It maybe a Hollywood actor, who is writing an album, and a ya series, but you have to have flaws in what you do, especially with that much you do. I wouldn't say that her writing was bad per se, but I just didn't enjoy the story. It felt like everything else on the shelves at my local B&N ya section. Some supernatural bimbo falling desperately in love with something that is totally wrong for her.

Characters were a big part of what made me stop. I couldn't keep reading from whoever the red-headed human girl was. She is one of my least favorite characters because of her willingness and self-proclaimed soul mate to her guardian. For me that's incest. I couldn't keep on reading without having my walls up on incest and other things in that area. I just couldn't.
Who I did love, even though it was extremely brief was the demon, Edwin. Maybe it was because of his interaction with Charlotte was brief, but he seems like an important character in the future.

A relationship that because I don't have all the info on might change my mind about is that the true enemy of the vampires are elves. I'm like WHAT?!?!? Are you kidding me? Those elves do nothing, except be doctors from what I read, and they are the vampire's natural enemy? Oh Gosh! I don't know how else to explain how irritable I am because of that. Elves are supposed to be forest creatures and can protect animals, and things of that nature. I don't see how the paths of vampires, and elves can cross that easily.

Moving on, I won't recommed this book to anyone, really. When the movie comes out I won't watch it. If it becomes a success like the Hunger Games or Twilight, I still won't have anything to do with it except accept all the hype from my friends. I don't like where Hollywood is going with their movies, and how close-minded publishers are about what will sell in the ya section of the bookstore. Honestly young adults do read! Not all of them, but if you give them the right books, then THEY WILL!!! That's all I'm asking. So, going back to the review and off of that tangent, I give Of Light and Darkness by Shayne Leighton a head shakes vigorously, thumb pointing down, mad face for the waste of my time, and disappointed eyes. (1 out of 5)

1 comment:

  1. I love your honesty. :D I was never intending to read this book and I'm glad I never came across it.

    ReplyDelete