Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Review: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien


I had to finish this book yesterday night for it to be finished, and ready for school. My previous knowledge of Lord of the Rings series was only from the movies that I have little remembrance of, so The Hobbit was per se new territory. I've thought long and hard about this novel, but I don't know my exact feelings about this book and if I'd recommend it.                              

J.R.R. Tolkien of course is one of the greatest authors ever lived, and I can agree with that, and also get annoyed at his writing at the same time. The world he creates amazes me, and I love how detailed he is, even though some might hate it. I also hated when he'd mention something, and then not speak of it ever again in the novel. It was strange at first reading his writing because it was very grand-father like, if you understand. The dialogue he wrote got on my nerves at times when characters were repeatedly talking to themselves in third-person. Also his lack of excitement or emotion when characters spoke. I've read "said" so many times in the book, and I've been used to more than one word to show someone is speaking. 


Bilbo Baggins, or Mr. Baggins was my favorite character, and perhaps the only character that didn't get on my nerves. I was very intrigued if you can say that about the whole burglar and the Baggins and Took side of himself. I however was dreadfully annoyed by the whining dwarves and Gandalf. I don't like people who keep things from you when they can obviously see that trouble is coming, and even though it isn't dangerous. I don't like when people stand on the side lines and just watch everything play out. It irks me incredibly.

The poems and songs were very cheerful, and dreadful all the same, I loved them. Some people might skip over them, but I love singing them in my head. It was a way of language for the people of Middle Earth. I also admire the scene where Bilbo is stuck in a riddle battle with Gollum.

 I never got riddles, and this riddle battle was something I've never read or seen. That scene was also the point where I actually wanted to read more of the novel.

I now have to answer a bunch of question about the novel for school, and I think that if I'd pick the book on my own I would have liked it more than when teachers make you. I'm quite worried about the movie trilogy that is coming out the end of this year and the beginning of next. The novel is not very thick, and I honestly don't want to watch a different story than Mr. Baggins.

I may pick up the sequel later down the line, but now I have had enough of J.R.R. Tolkein and hope that you may try to read The Hobbit, before you watch the movie, if you haven't already. My all around recommendation for this book if you'd ask me is a head moves back and forth, thumb moving towards the middle or down. (3 out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment