Thursday, May 31, 2012

Believe by E. Leighanne Grimm-Weever Review

Believe (New England Immortals #1)
Book: Goodreads
Author: Goodreads

I was very grateful for the fact that the author of this novel gave away free e-book versions of her debut novel on goodreads. This was a first for me and I still hope to receive more of these in the future, though this review is brutal. I first want to start out with saying that writing anything is hard, especially a novel. I give her applause for trying, but in my opinion Believe was the worst novel I've ever read before. It went totally off the charts and not in a good way.

Let's start with the writing. It was difficult to continue to read it because it was so very hard. It felt like a fourth grader wrote it and I'm know way dissing the author. I'm just giving my honest opinion. I have read other reviews on goodreads and was surprised that most people on there loved it. Maybe I was sent a wrong copy? The first draft? I don't know, but the writing was too basic. I don't want to say this, but I could write better than her. I have written way better short stories and am currently working on a long-term project. This novel was... not ideal for me.

There were vampires. Well from the synopsis, but when I started reading it it felt like a very horribly written twilight fanfiction with just different characters. I took some notes while I was reading and found that there were so many similarities with Twilight I'd like to share them with you.

(Reading from my ipod touch on ibooks)

  1. "Wow Andrea! That was great!" she says "You're a great cook. Mom would give you a job anytime!" Bella, the cook pg 23
  2. My uncle had never tried to spare me from the truth, he'd always been very straight forward with me. Andrea's uncle = Bella's Dad Charlie pg 25
  3. "Sky blue, very nice," Every surface that has fabric on it is covered in either sky blue or slat blue, very classy." Bella's room was/is sky blue pg 12
I don't mean to sound rude because this is the worst review I have ever given, but from just those quotes I got from the novel it's plain to see that their wasn't much literature used. I found myself yelling at the author in my head for revising and understanding the use of grammar so many times that I just put the book down. It wasn't a good feeling, but I had to. 

I do give anyone props for trying to write a novel and completing it must have been fulfilling, but because this novel has three or four more sequels and I can't go through another grammar mistake I will not be reading this series. I give Believe by E. Leighanne Grimm-Weever a head shakes vigorously, thumb pointing down, mad face for the waste of my time, and disappointed eyes. (1 out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment