Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green Review


    The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Publication date: 1/10/2012
Pages: 336
Age range: 14 - 17 Years
Product dimensions: 5.84 (w) x 8.54 (h) x 1.14 (d)

Summary

Hazel Grace has cancer in her lungs, so it's very hard for her to breathe. She walks around with an oxygen tank that pumps gasps of what you would expect to be oxygen. Hazel has to go to a cancer group in The Literal Heart of Jesus at a church because the church is shaped like a cross and they meet in the basement where the two lines meet. The main character Hazel meets charming and incredibly handsome Augustus Waters who had cancer at the cancer group. They meet and talk with Hazel's friend that has eye cancer. Most of the time cancer support group will be a terror and act of boredom for them, but since Hazel meets Augustus he starts to change Hazel's opinions about dying and cancer. Augustus is a high schooler who has an amputated leg which caused major distress on his basketball team. He acts as if he knows it all and what he doesn't know is what will happen to him by meeting Hazel. They bond over the same book that Hazel recommends An Imperial Affliction by Peter van Houten. As a cancer perk Hazel and Augustus set off to find out the answers where the book leaves off in Switzerland. 


I just have to get this out first, this book is the best book I have read in a loooonnng time. I have never laughed or cried so much while reading this book and I just could not put it down. I think I fell in love with Augustus somewhere in all the mess of the book and it was terribly difficult when the story end. I will always refer to this book if someone says to me that fictional characters don't mean anything. Having said that, you might guess that this book has taken me far out of my comfort zone. I've never read a "sad" book or the "cancer" books in my life and this was a good place to start. I'm kind of mad at John Green now because no book will match up to the expectations from reading this novel. I've also learned quiet a lot about... a lot of things by reading this book. I knew that this book was very hyped up and it did meet my expectations and I will love to read another book written by the incredible genius that is John Green.

No comments:

Post a Comment